Program Objectives and Style of Play
The AYSO VIP Program provides a quality soccer experience for children and adults aged 5 and up; the program is open to anyone whose physical or developmental challenges make it difficult to successfully participate on a mainstream team. VIP teams may include those who have:
- Impaired vision, hearing, or mobility
- Autism, Down syndrome, mental retardation, or developmental delays
- Cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and other physical handicaps
- Attention Deficit Disorder or related attention/focus challenges
These individuals are Very Important Players (VIP) in AYSO. We recognize that everyone needs to feel a sense of belonging and acceptance. The VIP program offers that acceptance and carries AYSO's philosophy of Everyone Plays® to new heights—giving everyone a chance to play. Our goals for every participating player are:
- Have fun playing soccer
- Understand the fundamentals of the game
- Learn teamwork and fair play
- Increase self-esteem
- Become more physically fit
- Meet and be comfortable with new people
Each VIP program is designed for the players in that particular region. Our East Bay teams are carefully organized by age and (when numbers permit) by sex as well as by size, mobility, and physical ability. There is no upper age limit for VIP players as long as they remain on VIP teams. The length of games, style of play, and even the rules are all tailored to the players involved.
In our region, most games are played against slightly older players from non-disabled teams, who are coached on how to play a fun and instructive game against VIP players. As we grow the VIP program, we'll have more chances for VIP teams to play against each other as well.